Buying a home is a very important decision. Before you rush into a home you should consider all the factors.
Making sure you end up with the right home involves figuring out exactly what features you need, want and don’t want in a home. Before starting your search, you should make a “wish list” to decide which features are absolutely essential, which nice “extras” are if you happen to find them, and which are completely undesirable.
The more specific you can be about what you’re looking for from the outset, the more effective your home search will be. Also keep in mind, that in the end, every home purchase is a compromise.
Create your own personalized “wish list” and when you’re finished filling it out; share it with your real estate agent.
Become an educated buyer
•The web is one of the best ways to search for homes today. With this website, you can receive daily emails with new and updated listings from the towns and price range of your choice.
•Search the entire MLS for all homes, condos, land, multi family, commercial properties, and past sold properties at your convenience.
•View full listing sheets showing amenities, taxes, lot sizes, beds, baths, rooms, siding, fireplaces, garages, room sizes and much more.
•Get property addresses and see where the properties are located on MapQuest.
•Check schools and community profiles of your preferred towns.
•Save preferred listings in your own file to view anytime.
•Calculate approximate mortgage payments for specific properties.
Once you have made an offer on a home, you will need to schedule a home inspection, conducted by an independent authorized inspector. It is extremely important to hire a reputable inspector so that you know exactly what you are buying. Do not hesitate to ask friends, family, and co-workers for advice. If you are satisfied with the results of the inspection, then you can proceed with the sale. If the inspector finds problems with the property, you may want to negotiate with the seller to lower the price, or to pay for certain repairs.
Your lender may require you to get an appraisal of the house you want to buy, to make sure it is worth the money that you are borrowing. You may select your own appraiser, or you may ask your real estate broker to help you with this task.
Lenders require that you have homeowners insurance, to protect both your interests and theirs. Like everything else, be sure to shop around for insurance that fits your needs.
Settlement or Closing
Finally Make Sure Before you Buy
Finally, you are ready for the closing. Be sure to read everything before you sign! You should have both your real estate broker and an attorney present at the closing to ensure that all is in order.
Featured Property Slideshow
Andover Listing AlertsAndover, MA - $133,000
4 Longwood Drive - Condo - Garden - Rooms:3 - Beds:1 - Baths:12 hours agoAndover, MA - $599,000
204 Andover St - Commercial - Year Built:1880 - Acres:1.036 hours agoAndover, MA - $449,000
24 Gould Rd - Land - Acres:1.14Andover, MA - $445,000
8 Marland St - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:1
North Andover ListingsNorth Andover, MA - $549,900
68 Bear Hill Rd - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/1North Andover, MA - $1,350
25 Fernview Avenue - Rentals - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1North Andover, MA - $1,300
1980 Turnpike Street - Commercial - Year Built:0 - Acres:0North Andover, MA - $356,500
288 Greene St - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
- North Adams School Project Tracking Under Budget December 17, 2013"We are cautiously optimistic: the reconciliation came out about $55,000 under budget," said Mel Overmoyer, principal of Strategic Building Solutions, the owner's project manager, on Monday night.
- Where Should Marijuana Dispensaries Go in Andover? December 17, 2013If medical marijuana dispensaries and growers wanted to set up shop in Andover, where should they be? That's what one article on the 2014 Town Meeting warrant will address.
- Kendrick Oliver and the New Life Jazz Orchestra Concert to Raise Funds for NMYO December 17, 2013The Second Annual Warm Music for a Winter's Night will welcome Kendrick Oliver and the New Life Jazz Orchestra to the Shalin Liu Performance Center in Rockport.
- Environmental Science and Technologies Announces the Acquisition of OMNI-Ajax December 16, 2013Environmental Science and Technologies today announced its recent acquisition of OMNI-Ajax, a developer and manufacturer of proprietary spill control products for the hazardous and biohazardous markets.
- North Adams School Project Tracking Under Budget December 17, 2013
- Belmont's Trash Collection, Disposal Contracts Set for Next Several Years December 17, 2013For most Belmont residents, the interaction with the collection and disposal of their and their neighbors' garbage extends as far as the end of the driveway once a week.
- Tommy Strong: Thank You from the Cox Family December 16, 2013The family of Tommy Cox -- the 10-year-old boy who lost one of his legs in a boating accident this fall -- sends the following message to the North Andover community: On September 5th, our lives changed forever due to Tommy's accident.
- An Uncommon Shop December 15, 2013A couple weeks ago during the Santa Parade downtown, you may have noticed a new shop on Main Street.
- Foot of Snow Possible for North Andover December 14, 2013Winter doesn't officially start until next week, but nature seems to have started early, with a cold snap and the region bracing for its first snowstorm of the season.
- Belmont's Trash Collection, Disposal Contracts Set for Next Several Years December 17, 2013