Here are some ways to start planning for your family’s financial future:
Start a college fund: College may seem far away but it is a huge expense that can creep up on you. Start saving now, the sooner the better. Even as little as $100 a month will add up. Open a 529 college savings plan to use specifically for college expenses.
Buy life insurance: Life insurance gives your family a peace of mind. and the ability to afford the expense of final care and burial. The death benefit will provide financial security for those family members who are left behind.
Have a will: When a person dies without a will, the state decides who gets what, without regard to the deceased wishes or their heirs’ needs. Creating a will that spells out one’s wishes protects their family’s financial future.
Here are a few recipes for homemade carpet freshener:
1 cup crushed dried herbs. Use any herbs you like (rosemary, southernwood, or lavender)
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Shake well to blend.
3. Sprinkle some of the mixture on your carpet, let it sit for an hour or so, and then
2 cups baking soda
Essential oil (pick your favorite scent)
2 cups lavender, buds
2 cups rosemary
1. Put 2 cups of baking soda in a glass or ceramic bowl; with the back of a metal spoon get rid of the lumps.
2. Add the essential oil (approximately 20 drops) and mix.
3. Add the lavender and rosemary, mix and then put in a plastic bag or glass container.
4 Let is sit for 2-3 days so the oil will not be wet (the oil can stain the carpet if it is wet).
5. Sprinkle desired amount on the carpet, leave for a few hours then vacuum.
If your credit score could use a boost it isn’t as simple as just changing bad financial behaviors. Increasing your credit score is a process that takes time. The time it takes to improve your credit history can vary.
Late payments can remain on your credit report for seven years, but typically if you clear all past-due debts and pay on time from then on, your score can begin to recover quickly.
One late payment doesn’t hurt you that much but a pattern of bad payments will really hurt you. If you have a few late payments continue to use credit and pay on time every time. Demonstrate that you are managing your fiances well and your scores will begin to climb.
If you have suffered a bankruptcy the effects can be long-lasting. According to myFico.com, a Chapter 13 bankruptcy can linger for seven to more than 10 years on your report. A Chapter 7 bankruptcy, or total liquidation, can affect your record for 10 years.
It is vital to constantly monitor your credit report and review it for accuracy. You can obtain your report for free once every twelve months from annualcreditreport.com.
Take a drive down any residential road in your town or city, and you’re bound to notice a neglected porch or two. Is your porch giving your home the best face it can have? Could your porch use a little spice? Here’s how to get the most out of your porch, whether it is only a few feet, or a covered area spanning the length of your home.
1. – Replace things when needed. New welcome mats, address numbers, doorknobs and deadbolts can breathe new life into your porch space. All of these experience significant wear-and-tear in only a short time, and replacing them when needed shows passers-by and potential home buyers that you live in a house that is well taken care of…Even down to the last detail.
2. – Don’t be afraid to paint. Often times, painted areas on a porch can be overlooked. If you are in the middle of a deck painting, then don’t hesitate to touch up your porch as a part of your project.
3. – Bring a little life onto your porch. Consider buying a few weather-hardy plants that could complement the color scheme of your home. Tasteful plant window boxes installed on the windows closest to your porch can make your porch appear much bigger than it is, and is an optical effect that will definitely work in your favor. Just be sure to pick plants that don’t run afoul of your home’s outdoor color scheme, and you’ll find that bringing a little plant life onto and around your porch is a very enjoyable investment.
4. – Lighting is not only important for looks, but for safety as well. Make sure that your porch light is always in working order, and be sure to choose quality bulbs that match the wattage of the outlet. Some homes have faulty porch wiring, and sometimes lack proper lighting. If you are in one of these homes, consider making a project out of it. Proper lighting will show off your porch at night in all the right places, and will be a welcome safety addition for your family and visitors.
Andover Listing AlertsAndover, MA - $2,250
28 River Street - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/11 hour agoAndover, MA - $98,900
10 Colonial Dr - Condo - Garden - Rooms:2 - Beds:0 - Baths:14 hours agoAndover, MA - $649,900
17 Messinia Drive - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/14 hours agoAndover, MA - $650,000
120 Chestnut St - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:2/14 hours agoAndover, MA - $2,500
11 Linwood St - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:24 hours ago
North Andover ListingsNorth Andover, MA - $999,999
35 Abby Lane - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:5 - Baths:4/11 hour agoNorth Andover, MA - $585,000
33 Weyland Circle - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:38 hours agoNorth Andover, MA - $1,395
11 Walker Rd - Rentals - - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:1North Andover, MA - $559,900
247-B Farnum St - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:11 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/1North Andover, MA - $409,000
83 Campbell Rd - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
- Understanding our Social Security system September 13, 2014Several of surveys conducted over the last few years show that a growing number of Americans are losing faith that they will receive their full Social Security benefits. Predictably, younger adults expect to receive no benefits at all when they retire.
- Dunkin' Donuts To Raze Pittsfield Church for... September 13, 2014Developers aim to demolish a vacant former Tyler Street church and its rectory to make way for a new Dunkin' Donuts drive-through restaurant. According to permitting paperwork filed with the city's Office of Community Development, Cafua Management Co.
- Dunkin' Donuts, with drive-thru, planned at site of vacant Pittsfield church September 13, 2014Cafua Management Co. of North Andover, said to be the largest Dunkin' Donuts franchise owner in the nation, is seeking site plan approval from the city and a special permit from the City Council, which is required for the drive- thru operation.
- Freeze Drying Monitoring & Control September 12, 2014SP Scientific has entered into an exclusive agreement with Physical Sciences Inc. to distribute the LyoFlux 200 Water Vapor Mass Flow Rate Monitor for laboratory and pilot scale freeze dryers. The LyoFlux 200 is an innovative two line-of-sight tuneable diode laser absorption spectroscopy based device for continuous monitoring of laboratory, pilot and product
- Understanding our Social Security system September 13, 2014
- Dunkin' Donuts plans drive-thru for St. Mary the Morningstar Church in Pittsfield September 13, 2014Another Dunkin' Donuts restaurant with drive-thru service is planned in Pittsfield at the site of the former St. Mary The Morningstar Church off Tyler Street. Cafua Management Co.
- Rogers says pick-and-pay hurts business September 12, 2014The cable giant told a hearing on Thursday it is concerned a set of ideas floated by the Canadian Radio-television and Communications Commission to strip down basic TV packages and let viewers buy channels one by one would hurt its business. But it argued it could accept the regulator's proposals - with a few major caveats.
- Dunkin' Donuts To Raze Pittsfield Church for Drive-Through September 12, 2014Developers aim to demolish a vacant former Tyler Street church and its rectory to make way for a new Dunkin' Donuts drive-through restaurant. According to permitting paperwork filed with the city's Office of Community Development, Cafua Management Co.
- Report: 2 Shot at Danvers Motel September 11, 2014A suspect is in custody after two people were shot at the Knight's Inn in Danvers late Wednesday night. The Salem News reports that two men were shot, one in the thigh and the other in the knee, at the location.
- Dunkin' Donuts plans drive-thru for St. Mary the Morningstar Church in Pittsfield September 13, 2014